Vengaya sambhar is one of my favorite sambhar variety. 🙂 It use to be our sambhar variety on Sundays in my childhood until l went out of hometown for my studies. After a long time I felt like eating this particular sambhar and thought to prepare it. I had asked my sister to send me the recipe and got it immediately with my mom’s recorded whatsapp voice message.
So, if you want to try the most tasty vengaya sambhar here is the method to prepare it.
3-4 Onions, Yellow Lentil, Split Bengal Gram, Black Gram, 4-6 Red Chillies, Grated coconut, Tamarind, Coriander seeds, mustard, fenugreek.
1. Steam half tumbler (or a cup) Yellow lentil for upto 5-6 whistles in pressure cooker.
2. Soak tamarind 15 before cooking begins
3. Saute the split bengal gram, black gram, red chillies (cut it to into pieces), coriander seeds (if coriander seeds are not available use coriander powder), grated coconut together until it turns brownish.
4. Grind it all with some water added
5. Cut onions into thin slices
6. Heat a pan with oil and saute mustard, fenugreek & add the cut onions
7, Stir it until onion color turns yellow
8. Add the tamarind water + add more water to the needed sambhar quantity & add required salt
9. Add the steamed yellow lentil and the grinded items to the pan
10. Boil it for 15-20 minutes
11. Sambhar ready! 🙂
Here is the preparation video of the above dish…
Leave your comment if you try it. Thank you,