Thakkali (Tomato) Koottu is one of my favorite dishes from my Mom. Though I like every single dish my mom prepares, this one is always my special dish. I’d asked my sister to let me know the recipe and she had sent a recorded voice message from my mom and sent me in whatsapp! haha… If this had happened two years ago I might have talked in favor of gadgets in Neeya Naana (a Tamil talk show) in which I’d actually spoken against gadgets. 😀
As I didn’t cook beyond five standard dishes with slight variations, I’d decided it’s high time for me to try something new and so is this Koottu 😀 It will take 45 minutes to cook it. Here is the recipe, if you like to give it a try!
1. Tomato (6-8 depends on size of Tomato and number of people) – I used 8 tomatoes for a count of 4.
2. Kadalai paruppu (Bengal Gram)
3. Payatham paruppu or Paasi Paruppu (Green Gram )
4. Uluttham paruppu (Black Gram)
5. Curry Leaves, Chilly, Coriander Leaves, Mustard, grated coconut
1. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces
2. Steam Bengal gram and Green gram together in pressure cooker upto 6 whistles
3. Saute Mustard, chilly (cut it small), curry leaves, bengal gram and black gram until it turns brown
4. Mix the cut tomato in pan with the above and stir it frequently for 15-20 minutes until the fresh tomato smell fades away
5. Add necessary salt, little turmeric & a tea spoon of Sambhar powder
6. Once fresh tomato smell has gone, mix the steamed bengal & green gram in the pan and stir it
7. Add grated coconut and coriander leaves (if not readily available it’s ok to skip coriander leaves) and stir for 5 minutes.
8. oh! that’s it… only 5 steps to cook.
9. Comment here after you’d tried it 🙂
It came very well for me and it tasted just like my mom’s preparation 🙂
Check out this video as well 🙂