haha… never thought I would make such a post. Just a try! Ever since I came to US, I miss the varieties of food my mom use to prepare and some food items which she prepares specially for me. Every weekend my mom use to prepare a different type of food mix which I use for the whole week in Bangalore where I used to stay.
Though my room mates makes a varieties of food everyday in their turn, which makes me feel like I’m at home, It’s been 4 months since I came here and started feeling about the varieties of food items my mom makes for me.
One of the simplest and easiest preparation is Thokku. I’d asked my mom when I called her and asked about the preparation steps. I’d said ‘oh.. ok.. ok…’ for all the steps she said and didn’t do on the say I’d called her. Then I thought to make it after 4 days & the sad part is I’d forgot what all she said 😀
Again called today and asked the same steps & I gave it a try. The taste is 70% close to what my mom makes. Just for a timepass took photos and videos of what I’d prepared. This thokku will taste very good with Dosa, Idly, Chappathi, all Upma varieties, with curd rice and it’ll be very good with white rice.
Thokku will serve good for a week without keeping it in refrigerator & if climate is not so hot.
Incase if you want to try, here are the simple steps to make this mouth watering Thakkali Thokku.
1. 5-6 Tomatos
3. Red Chilly
4. Tamarind (if you’re using Tamarind paste, use 1/2 spoon for 6 tomatos, That’s what I used 😀 )
7. Sunflower oil
4 simple steps for preparation
1. Grind the Red chilly, salt & Tamarind together
2. Mix Tomato with this and grind again (Don’t add water)
3. On a Pan, add more oil and saute mustard and asafoetida
4. Mix the grind-ed tomato in the pan and boil it for 25 minutes. (stir frequently)
5. Wash your plates & get ready to eat.
Here is the video…. Leave a comment if you liked it.